Thursday, December 8, 2011

Please leave a message after the beep

Before I left my last job all of my co-workers put together a gift for me. Each of them rolled up two small pieces of paper and tied them in twine. Then they placed them in an empty wine bottle. Like the ones you picture people stranded out at sea using to send out message's for help. One of the pieces of paper had something encouraging written on it, like something I did or said that they really appreciated. The other piece had something funny written on it, like a memory of me doing something embarrassing that gave everyone a good laugh. The messages in that bottle were very uplifting. I will never forget that amazing group of people I had the privilege of working with. 

When I was young someone close to me would be verbally abusive. She would tell me that I was a mistake. She would always yell at me for random things and I couldn’t figure out why. I felt like she always looked at me as an inconvenience. Like someone took a huge stamp with the word screw-up on it and put in on my forehead. She made me feel like it was hard to love a child like me. She left me with a message I wish I could forget.

One of my current co-workers always talks about health food. She was just explaining to me how to make this really healthy wrap filled with carrots, broccoli, and cabbage. I know, it sounds so yummy right? :) She loves it when you can make something really healthy and it tastes better than the stuff that’s not so healthy. I think she has been trying to send me these subliminal messages about how I need to start eating healthy or my life is going to be miserable. She laughs when I tell her I go to subway. It's funny because she is always coming in with these crazy foods I've never heard of for lunch. Sometimes they smell a little strange but I would be lying if I didn't say they usually tasted pretty good. It's undeniable that Julie loves to eat healthy because it shows through the way she lives. She is always sending a message of physical health and living well. 

Things you write down, things you say, and how you live your life always send messages to other people. These are just a few ways that happens. Everyday we make decisions to do things, say things, or type things that have weight in other peoples lives. 

Food for thought.
Leaving a good message is not all up to me. In my life I live for a message of love, grace, and forgiveness. I want others to have hope after being around me. Not because of what I've done but because of what Jesus Christ has done. My prayer is that when people read what I write, hear what I say, and see how I live, the message of hope in Jesus Christ is what they are lead to.

Have you ever taken the time to think through some of the messages you have left with other people?
Do you know what those messages are?
Do you know why you send those messages?
Are those the messages you want to send? Why or why not?



No comments:

Post a Comment