Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I'm only Human

Have you ever heard someone say "I'm only human"? Why is this always a negative response? 

It usually means this....  

  • make a mistake... ‘I’m only human’.
  • can’t achieve something... “I’m only human”.
  • lose control... “I’m only human”.

I believe that as a Christian when I say "I'm only Human". In a condescending way I say "Well... what do you expect, I'm not God". 

As if being God is the most common expectation that people have for you. Like God himself is waiting for you to do his job.

Regardless of your thoughts on humanity we all fall into this mindset. It can feel therapeutic to excuse yourself from high expectations.

I'm not talking about the time you told your wife she gained weight before actually thinking about how she would interpret that. I'm talking about the stuff you know you shouldn't do and therefor play the proverbial "get out of jail free card". I'm only human.  

This phrase is starting to make less sense to me then ever before. There is a difference between sin and humanity. They can be separated. They have been separated. I believe that Jesus came to teach us and display this very fact in his life, death, and resurrection. When it comes to sin why does our humanity get all the blame? Sometimes we can tire of being human. If you're like me you get tired of making mistakes. You get even more exhausted when keep repeating the same mistakes over... and over... and over again.   

It's hard to be human... especially when you don't have a good understanding of what it means to be human. Being human is not an excuse to be sinful. It's a blessing of life that is extremely good! God created it that way and Jesus came to teach us through his humanity, his teachings, and his sacrifice, that being human is not the problem. It's actually the solution.

A new way to be human

Jesus' prayer in the garden shows me that being human means to make sacrifices even when they hurt.
“Abba, Father,” he cried out, “everything is possible for you. Please take this cup of suffering away from me."

Jesus' relationship with God the Father shows me that being human means to trust God and live a life of obedience.
"Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.” 

Jesus giving the Apostles the power to heal people teaches me that being human means to tap into God's immeasurable amount of power and strength.
"For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength."

Jesus sitting on the throne in Heaven means that God places a crown on his perfect relationship with humanity. A relationship only possible by the death and resurrection of his Son, Jesus Christ.
"And the one sitting on the throne said, “Look, I am making everything new!” And then he said to me, “Write this down, for what I tell you is trustworthy and true.” And he also said, “It is finished! I am the Alpha and the Omega—the Beginning and the End. To all who are thirsty I will give freely from the springs of the water of life. All who are victorious will inherit all these blessings, and I will be their God, and they will be my children."

If you find yourself in that place where you think "I'm only human" try exploring the humanity of Jesus Christ. He will show you a road of sacrifice taken by choice. A reality only possible by faith in God. A door that's never closed but full of possibilities. My challenge is that you explore a new way to be human.



No comments:

Post a Comment