Thursday, August 25, 2011

I'm not a Christian but I love coming.

I'm a Middle School Youth Pastor. During one of my lessons last Spring I shared a story about a student in a youth ministry I used to lead. He was outspoken about not following Jesus. He would continue to come out to youth group and listen to me talk about God despite his strong conviction that he wasn’t a Christian. There was nothing extremely special about this story but it got the point across that night.

As I finished my lesson and the kids started to disperse to their small groups a 6th grade girl came up to me with watery eyes.

Without taking a breath she said, “IreallylikeyourstoryaboutChrisbecauseI’mnotaChristian, andmyfamilyisnotChristian, butIlovecominghere.” (exhale)

For a few moments we just looked at each other smiling. In that moment my heart was full. This is the type of environment we strive so hard to create for our Middle School students. I told her that I love having her come out and encouraged her to talk to her small group leader about what it means to be a Christian.
As she skipped away to meet up with her small group I thought to myself “Everything I have ever done in the name of Jesus is all worth it for that one student”. May you, as youth workers, be encouraged by the desire that Jesus gives us to love and serve these students.

Take off your shoes and worship with hearts full of joy, you are standing on Holy ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment