Saturday, November 5, 2011

Out of these ashes, we will rise

I have been supporting a friend through his struggle with depression. Let me tell you that this has been difficult for me. I want to give him my perspective on what he needs to do but the truth is that I’m not a counselor and I’m not trained to know what he needs right now. I really want him to have hope and get better so when he doesn’t seem to be making progress I can get frustrated at times. I’m a pastor so I give him my perspective on God and what God thinks about him. As long as I stay focused on being helpful and not being the one that helps him I think it will be more helpful. I have to realize that it's not my job to change him but I can be changed.

I always try to remind myself of the good things before we get together. I’m going to try and keep his mind off of depression and on the positive things in life. I believe through encouragement, love, time, laughter, smiles, and prayer God will draw him closer in and turn his depression into joy.

Have you ever been down the road of depression?
If someone walked you through depression what did that person do that was helpful?
If you have been where I am what tips do you have for me?

Philippians 4:8-9
“Finally brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me – put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment