Saturday, December 24, 2011

All the other kids with the pumped up kicks

“What were you thinking” was a response I was very familiar with. I’ve had so many “what were you thinking” moments it would be impossible to count them.

When I was in elementary school my family lived in an apartment. I can’t remember why but I was home alone. To make a long story short, while I was home alone, I started my training to become the fifth ninja turtle. One of my training drills was to master the art of throwing a Chinese star. There was only one problem. I was fresh out of Chinese stars. So I grabbed the next best thing, a sharp pair of scissors. My objective was to hit a couch pillow in the living room while standing in the kitchen. Due to the handicap of having scissors instead of Chinese stars my imaginary Sensei let me move closer to the pillow.

I had a solid 20 minutes of practice before the thought of consequences had crossed my mind. So I flipped the pillow over to hide the evidence but it wasn’t long before I was busted. I can still hear my mom say, “Danny, what were you thinking”. To tell you the truth I wasn’t. I was also a 4th grader at home alone. Mom, what were YOU thinking?

Anyway... It was actually a news article that inspired me to write this. Click here to see it.

At a local shopping mall in Lithonia, Georgia hundreds of people were waiting in line for hours to be owners of the newest pair of Nike retro Air Jordan’s. The “Nike Air Jordan Concords” were selling for $180. Only a limited number get sent to each store so if they run out then you wont get a pair. Police were there at 4am to keep the crowd under control. The morning resulted in a busted mall door and the police making several arrests. One of them was a young mother of two children who left her 5 and 2 year old in the car while she waited in line.

The same question has to be scrolling through all of our minds.

“What were you thinking”?

There is something very wrong when shoes are valued over our children.


  


No comments:

Post a Comment