Tuesday, December 13, 2011

My last message

Tonight I gave my last message as the middle school director for BranchCreek Community Church. Preparing for this message was easy because I had so much I wanted to say. Let me rephrase that, so much still needed to be said.

I now realize that those lessons will no longer be shared by me. I knew this was coming. Isn't this what it should feel like?I thought to myself "but I'm not done." I will never be done. Sharing the truth about Jesus with middle schoolers has become an absolute joy for me. I have repeated the statement "I can't see myself doing anything else" so many times in the last year because I mean it. No matter where I am I will be sharing the good news of Jesus with middle school students.

I have never thought of myself as a great teacher and I still don't. I mean, I really don't. Because I'm not one. So to my surprise, my small group leaders, who have been listening to me teach for the past year and a half, tell me that they are really going to miss my teaching. They said that I really bring the message in a way that helps them talk about the "BIG IDEA" in small groups. 

I really appreciated the flattering comments but I had to assure them that my teaching skills had nothing to do with it. All I do is relay His message through how he changes my life, step by step, everyday. I assured them that whoever comes after me will be different and probably better than me. As long as he brings the good news with him. His good news is all that matters and if I leave my leaders and students with my messages and not His message I have failed as a teacher.

Don't get me wrong I think teaching is extremely important and I work hard at getting better. As should everyone in anything they do in life. But what really keeps the students engaged in the "BIG IDEA" of a lesson is that adults are investing the time to talk to them about it. In my eyes, small group leaders will always be the most important piece to student ministry. The words I share don't mean anything until my small group leaders breath life into them by the way they care for their students.

A direct quote from Barb Malanga (7th grade girls small group leader) "I don't give up my Tuesday night to just talk about nail colors and hair. I give up my Tuesday night to share the love of Jesus with my girls. I love them that much."

I was blessed with some amazing small group leaders this year and I have full confidence that Jesus will do greater things through them when I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment