Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Here comes the Bride

I'm 11 days away from watching my bride walk down one of the most expensive pieces of fabric I will ever rent. It sounds crazy but I bought an extra toothbrush to keep by my bathroom sink so I could be reminded when I brush my teeth that all the little things I'm used to are about to change. In our first 6 months to a year my knowledge of Molly is going to increase so much more than I can imagine. I'm going to find out things like if she puts her bath towel in the hamper after one use or hangs it up in the bathroom for multiple uses like me. Over the years I will learn all of her idiosyncrasies and she will learn all of mine. I have no idea what's going to happen but I'm so excited because I'm not afraid. The changes I'm going to go through are going to be worth it because she means that much to me and she means even more to Jesus. So no matter how difficult some of our struggles may be we have hope and we believe in God's plan for our lives.

Unfortunately, Molly (my fiance) and I, like most people, have had a rough journey through life. We both come from homes built on a foundation of fear. We both stumbled through life by making multiple bad decisions, following our misguided emotions and for us hope was that dream you have a hard time remembering when you wake up. Eventually we hit the ground so hard there was nowhere else to look but up. We started following Jesus in our later teen years. I was 17 in 2003 and she was 19 in 2007. Before we were Christians we never thought we would be getting married. Jesus changed our perspective on love and through the Holy Spirit we understood the true meaning of our existence. To be loved and to love others. My life experiences and my relationship with Jesus have taught me that marriage is about loving your wife like Christ loves the church.

Our scars remind us of the journey that brought us both to this point. Our goal is that our marriage will continue to represent how Jesus takes something broken and makes it into something beautiful. The thing that makes us feel most loved is God's endless and unconditional pursuit for our hearts. Not having money, loosing jobs, physical illness, and even death is no longer something to be afraid of. We know that our home is not going to be built on the conditions our world puts on us. It will be built on the unfailing love of Jesus Christ.


1 John 4:16-19


"We know how much God loves us, and we have put our trust in his love.
   God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them. And as we live in God, our love grows more perfect. So we will not be afraid on the day of judgment, but we can face him with confidence because we live like Jesus here in this world.
Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced his perfect love. We love each other because he loved us first."

No comments:

Post a Comment